Friday, December 4, 2009

The face of good will

For some reason, this morning as I was passing the landlord’s office on my way out of the building, it hit me that I didn’t remember putting the rent check in “+’s” mail slot. I remember writing the check and I remember bringing it downstairs…with the other outgoing mail. NO! Panic strikes! Could I have put the rent check in the outgoing mail basket? Even though it was in an envelope, it only had the landlord’s name on it—no address. What would happen to it? Would the post office open it and send it back? Would they just throw it away? Of course this took place on Tuesday and today is the fourth of the month! Would I have to do a stop-payment on the check? Could I risk writing another one without doing a stop-payment? Would I get a letter from the landlord with late fees?

I called the landlord several times with no answer. Finally, my nerves settled down enough for me to think clearly. The next time I called, I left a message. (Duh.) “+” returned my call and reassured me that the check had been turned in. It seems that “++” went to mail something and saw my unaddressed envelope in the basket. “++” took the envelope and gave it to “+”, my landlord. I was so thankful! “++” had saved the day!

“++” never said a word or pointed out the good deed. A quiet, simple gesture of good will, so very appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment