Sunday, December 20, 2009

Knowing YOU through Mary

Mary’s “Yes” has been resonating in my heart for some many years and it seems to speak even louder now than ever. I had felt Mary close to me when I was very young and often speak with sadness at the feeling of having lost her somewhere along the way to adulthood. The last few months as I have been studying the Spiritual Exercises of Saint Ignatius, I have felt that closeness again. There have been many graces that I feel Mary has blessed me with during this time and as we draw so close to the day of Christ’s birth, I hold onto that bond that has been rekindled.

When I heard the hymn of Gabriel’s Message this morning, it brought tears to my eyes. Those tears were not just because I love this particular hymn. Those tears were because I reverence the power behind Mary’s “Yes”. The love, courage and strength behind that three-letter word means so much to me and is the prayer I hold for my own vocation in following Christ, “Most Holy Mary, teach me how to follow your Son.”

“Then gentle Mary meekly bowed her head,
“To me be as it pleaseth God,” – she said,
“my soul shall laud and magnify his holy Name.”
Most highly favored lady, Gloria!”

No comments:

Post a Comment