Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Noonday Prayers: Feast of the Presentation

I walked into the church this afternoon, glad to take the time for the Noonday Office, just to hear the sounds of a very loud radio behind the altar wall where the work crew has been busy with the church's reconstruction. It was as if they were in the church with me and I found it not only hard to concentrate, but offensive too. “Couldn’t they turn that thing off for one hour at noon so prayers could be said”, I grumbled to myself. I sat down to try to focus and Bon-Jovi was singing “Place your hands on me”. I have no idea what this song is really about or what the rest of the words are, but my mind wandered into a scene at the Jordan with Gospel Singers praising the Lord and singing, “Place your hands on me, Lord”…

I went on with the lessons of the Feast, although I really have no idea what I was reading. I found myself amused that in “my” need for a place to be quiet and be with God, I was taken away to a place of joy and praise of and for God.

I wondered how this might fit into the Feast of the Presentation? What was God saying in this moment? I wasn’t sure it did fit or that God was saying anything at all. Then again, was this more a time to remember my baptismal covenant than worry over whether or not “I” had the space and quiet time “I” wanted? The Presentation of Jesus in the temple is about “recognizing” God’s humanity and celebrating it; much like we traditionally do at a child’s baptism. But this is not about Christ’s baptism. That comes much later. Still, it reminded me of Baptism and the Baptismal Covenant. Had I not just this morning re-read the Renewal of Baptismal Vows, promising to SEEK and SERVE Christ in ALL persons, LOVING my NEIGHBOR as myself? Did I not also vow to strive for JUSTICE and PEACE among ALL people, and RESPECT the dignity of EVERY human being?

Noisy or quiet, I have been baptized into the Community of All God’s people. My continuing prayer for these hard workers as they do their best for us remains:
Great Creator, remember these men in their works for this parish; grant them grace in their day, safety in their works and respect for those around them; (and I add) grant me patience and respect for them in their works. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment