Sunday, February 28, 2010

From all oppression, conspiracy, and rebellion; Good Lord, deliver us.

From all oppression, conspiracy, and rebellion; from violence, battle, and murder; and from dying suddenly and unprepared, Good Lord, deliver us.

I watched my father die a slow, agonizing death. His body was violently tortured by an infection after a successful throat surgery. He couldn't speak but his eyes pleaded for forgiveness for some sin known only to him.

Mom died suddenly and I wasn't at her bedside like I was with Dad. Had she also begged forgiveness in the end?

Had either of them been prepared? Dad had been given the "last rites", although he was not conscious and couldn't confess. Mom had not received last rites, although she had rejoined her faith.

How prepared am I? I would like to think I am, but I know that I need to confess my sins daily before God. Yes, I know I am forgiven, but this is an act of contrition I do for myself, to remind me as if every day were Ash Wednesday, I am dust and to dust I shall return.

No comments:

Post a Comment