Wednesday, February 24, 2010

From all blindness of heart;... Good Lord, deliver us.

From all blindness of heart; from pride, vainglory, and hypocrisy; from envy, hatred, and malice; and from all want of charity, Good Lord, deliver us.

I had to rent a car a few months ago. It came with more bells and whitsles than I could dream of. I liked it. I liked the feel of it, the look of it and the toys that came with it. I liked it a lot. It was so easy to slip into the trap of "show-off-manship." I began to wonder if I could find a way to lease a car like that. It became kind of an obsession. I dreaded the thought of turning it in. I had the car for one day. ONE DAY!

I live a life that is set apart, but I am human. I forget how easy it is to slip back into the mode of "worldly desires" and how hard it is to stay on track. I tell myself that it would be nice to have an iPod to listen to "meditating music." I'd really love to have one of those electronic books so that I could read scripture or other spiritual works anywhere and anytime. Oh, and one of those hand-held games to "keep my brain active" would be good to have too.

No, those are just distractions and I DON'T want them. I don't want anything that will occupy my mind more than my Beloved Christ. In Christ, I have all. There is nothing else to want.

No comments:

Post a Comment