Monday, March 22, 2010

That it may please thee to forgive our enemies

That it may please thee to forgive our enemies, persecutors, and slanderers, and to turn their hearts, We beseech thee to hear us, good Lord.

I started thinking about how whenever I say the "Our Father" and I get to the part, "Forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us", I can't think of anyone at all that has done me wrong. It's as if my saying this, makes it so.

Thinking about how others hurt those close to them, I recall being very angry about a parishioner and what X and done to XX. I didn't want to be nice to X and I didn't want to speak to X. But, I still prayed for X just the same. Then one Sunday as I was meditating and praying about this it dawned on me that perhaps X was hurting inside and that was the reason for the turmoil. I felt an instant, overwhelming love flow forth. It was as if God was crying for the lost and hurting soul of this person. That same Sunday, for whatever reason, X chose to sit in the same pew row as I was sitting which X had never done before. I felt "gifted" by X's presence and I prayed that X felt a sense of peace sitting there. I've not looked back on the trespass of X to XX. It is not for me to be in judgment of another. It is, however, my job to pray that all hurting souls come to know that peaceful, loving light that is Christ our Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment