Friday, March 5, 2010

That it may please thee to illumine all bishops, priests, and deacons,

That it may please thee to illumine all bishops, priests, and deacons, with true knowledge and understanding of thy Word; and that both by their preaching and living, they may set it forth, and show it accordingly, We beseech thee to hear us, good Lord.

My Grandfather was an Episcopal priest. There is a photo of him from a magazine article standing at the door to his parish greeting the Sunday worshipers as they go out into the world armed with The Word in their hearts. I love this photo as it shows the diversity of that parish in times when certain classes and cultures just did not co-mingle.

One of the last positions he held was as a Prison Chaplain. I wish he were around to tell me stories of that ministry. I can only imagine how fulfilling it must have been to bring The Word to those who may not have known that they were loved by God, or of those that did, perhaps hungered to be reminded.

I'm proud of my Grandfather, whom I never knew, and I hope that he would be proud of me in my vocation.

No comments:

Post a Comment